Tuesday, September 27, 2005

You are all going to hell.

Freedom of speech brings about a lot of fun, if you're a tourist/exchange student. For example, a family of religious people came to the university yesterday to stage a demonstration of sorts. The banner they had said something along the following lines:

"YOU ARE ALL GOING TO HELL."

No, seriously.

This was, of course, captured by the university press, as seen by the link here. In fact, I was present when she started shouting, screaming something along the lines of how New Orleans was no accident of nature and how everyone is going to hell.

In a situation like this, what would be one's reaction? To join the protest? To argue with them? To alert people of this public nuisance and call the cops?

True to my Singaporean roots, I yanked out a camera.

Unfortunately, I soon discovered the disadvantages of not carrying your camera everywhere (interestingly, this after a weekend where I almost left my camera behind in Polo Ralph Lauren). So I did the next best thing. I yanked a Singaporean with a camera.

In any case, it was pretty insane, by any standards, and quite a sight. I'll get the picture up when I get it from the fellow Singaporean. In the meantime, here's a comic that I found kinda amusing, and very descriptive of the popularity of the McIntire School of Commerce within UVa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home