Wednesday, September 14, 2005

*Yawn*

A tad irritated as of now, since my beloved Spyware Doctor decided to close all my windows as it went about deleting spyware from my computer. Gotta rewrite random thoughts but I think these are what I want to talk about:

1. Having had the opportunity to get to know one's neighbours a bit more is kinda refreshing. Specifically, in the space of the last 2-3 days, I've had the chance to talk to about 3 of my neighbours and all of them have certainly provided me with some food for thought.

My next door neighbour, like most Indians, is a really friendly guy who's invited me over to watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. He's really up to date on current affairs and like most liberal arts students, somewhat left-leaning. We've had discussions about politics and things like that and so far we've clicked pretty well, which is pretty nice. Oh, and he's supposed to bring me out for garlic naan, which would be a welcome break from the usual burgers and pizzas.

Living in one of the suites on the ground floor is another lady who leans on a diferent end of the political spectrum. She's pretty interesting - her concentrations are in Economics and Political Studies with a minor in Systems Engineering (yeah, I know). People who are from these fields of concentrations (the liberal arts) tend to fall on the left end of the political spectrum but she considers herself a conservative, although she also considers politicians "criminal" (her words - I personally prefer "scum of the earth"). We talked about polarities in political views and she mentioned how during Election Year (2004), people were pretty polarised and it was hard to find grounds for people to agree to disagree. Bush is not rated particularly highly amongst college kids so her leaning in that direction certainly got her into some interesting debates. Incidentally, she's a Southern girl, so that might put some light on political leanings (I don't know what the link is but some folks claim Southerners tend to vote Republican).

2. Since we mentioned burgers and pizzas, I've gotten so fed up of the diet that when I was invited to a free lunch by [Unnamed generous Singaporean], with it being a buffet (that's how the meal plan here works - you eat as much as you can for a prepaid fee), I actually took 2 bowls of salad. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I'm officially eating grass. And enjoying it. Oh the horror of the American diet.

3. Got a surprise guest on my blog today and it's kinda nice to be in contact with someone whom you've not met since JC days, effectively. It's actually pretty nice to also find other Singaporeans who've studied Spanish, although I doubt any of them feel my pain now. Yes, E, you actually get a mention in my blog, so don't you renege on that cheesesteak you promised me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home